The name of this blog, Concerted Effort, originally came about simply because I liked the play on words. But the more I think about it, the more I realize it suits the philosophy of this blog perfectly. A "concerted" effort can not be a solo effort. By definition, something concerted is something that is done jointly - parts or individuals coming together as a group to achieve a common goal. To me, the best concert experience emerges when the collective effort of the band and audience merge, creating a unique energy and atmosphere that can only be experienced if one allows themselves to be immersed in that moment.

Last night, the atmosphere at the Larimer Lounge didn't quite live up to its potential. It wasn't because the artists did anything wrong, they came out and performed well, as they should. Nor was it because I wasn't feeling it - I was certainly carried away by the music. It was because there were probably fewer than fifty people in the room that night, and I have a good feeling the majority of the people in there did not know what they were in for, as only a fraction of the crowd were really into the performance while many stood idly by.

Small venue. Big possibilities.

It was the first time I'd ever been to a small venue to see bands that I was really excited about, yet the place wasn't packed liked sardines. All in all, I really enjoyed the experience because it was the closest thing to a private performance I've ever been to, and going in to it with that frame of mind made the experience absolutely amazing for me. But I couldn't help but feel it would have been an epic experience had there been more people and/or if everyone there completely wiled out. However, the experience made me realize exactly what I'm trying to do here on this blog.

My goal is to provide the reader with news on the local shows that are happening around them on a daily basis and provide enough information so that they can decide if they want to join in on any particular night, and should the reader decide to go, I also try to provide a preview on what to expect. I know I can't cover everything, but I listen to such a wide variety of music I'll do what I can. I really enjoy spreading the word, and I am grateful for my friends that joined me last night on good faith; Jamie, Lance, Brit, Eli, and Charlie, thank you very much! Without you guys the concert wouldn't have been quite the same.

If you made it this far into the post without throwing your hands up in the air out frustration and asking yourself, "When is this guy actually going to talk just about the concert?", thanks for your patience, because here goes. I did not make it for the beginning of Colfax Speed Queen's DJ set, but I did catch a glimpse and he was dropping some good beats, keeping the four or five people on the dance floor well entertained. Four or five people? Yeah - the place was a little dead at first and it certainly didn't bode well.

ManCub - Substituting for Danny is James on the left, with Alex Anderson on the right.

Then ManCub took the stage, and there was a little bit more electricity in the air. Several more people emerged from the front and back bars to see these guys, and although their set was short, it was pretty good. Danny Stillman was absent, but his sub performed well and Alex Anderson delivered as I thought he would. They played most of 8 Bit Crush, some of The Secret Stache, and something I didn't recognize. ManCub's sound is even more captivating in a loud, live setting. Being such a small venue, I could personally approach these guys after their set and they were very friendly, cool people. I found out from Alex that the reason they were there as an opener was because he was a fan of Walter Meego, and he jumped at the chance to open when he saw they were coming to town. It was awesome seeing Alex come out and join the crowd when Walter Meego came up to perform.

I had heard Walter Meego was touring with a full band (five members), but only three guys came out for their set. There was no drummer and no bassist, but these guys still put on a good show. They did not play all of their songs exactly how you would hear off of their albums, but that was not at all disappointing. Like I mentioned before, it was very much like hearing a much more personal and private performance.

Walter Meego performing as a three-piece.

They "Wondervalleyed" the songs they played from their first album, Voyager, by slowing them down slightly and making them a little dreamier - I wish I could have copies of these versions! Everything they played from Wondervalley, though, was pretty faithful to the studio versions. I especially enjoyed "Starlight, "Got Me Goin", and "Ghosts In Love". I think they inserted a song from an earlier (maybe later?) EP that I was not familiar with. To cap off the night, and to really make it feel like a private show, they finished with "Time Machine" on my request - I've never had a band play something I asked for before, even if it wasn't perfect (I don't think they rehearsed it - that just makes it more personal). It won't be something I'll soon forget.

In the end, I had an incredible time. I just wish more people were there to take place in the fun. I'm becoming more and more aware of just the sheer number of performers that are out there every night playing their hearts out in venues both big and small, and the ones that take place in the lesser known, smaller venues are quickly winning my heart. I've had a great time at larger, sold out venues where not a single soul stood still, and those are great. But if you get the opportunity, try checking out a little known or up and coming artist at a small show. It just might seem like they are playing just for you, and the more people that take advantage of these opportunities, the more electric the resulting atmosphere will become.

Leave a Reply