I've been introduced to many great songs and artists through an unlikely source - TV commercials. Sometimes a song is so powerful, that despite it being chopped up into a 30 second snippet, it ends up stuck in my head and I just have to go on a quest to dig up more. This happened to me back in the summer of 2008, when I saw a Heineken commercial featuring an infectious bass line and simple, yet extremely catchy guitar riff. I immediately began searching the internet to find out what that song was, and my search led to my discovery of "Forever" and the band Walter Meego.


I picked up a copy of their album, Voyager, and put it on heavy repeat. There was something about their blend of dance-pop/club-rock that kept me hooked. Honestly it's hard for me to pick out just a song or two from this album to represent these guys, but check out "Keyhole" - something I would describe as progressive dance. This music was made for the dance floor, but unfortunately I missed my chance to see these guys and experience the music as intended when they came through Denver that year.


Still, Walter Meego kept hard at work and released their second studio album, Wondervalley, late last year. Admittedly, I was not immediately a fan. Walter Meego tweaked their sound a bit on this album - less dance, more chillwave. But on successive listens, the new album grew on me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something singer-songwriter about their latest offering - like dream-pop Simon & Garfunkel with a sprinkling of soft rock. "Starlight", a much slower tempo song compared to most on Voyager, seems to be the closest to anything they had before. I think "Time Machine" is a good example of the overall feel of Wondervalley -  a much more intimate sound.


I don't know what sound Walter Meego plans to bring with them tonight to the Larimer Lounge, but I hope it's a little bit of both. The more soothing sounds of Wondervalley would be welcome, especially juxtaposed to ManCub's noise-heavy opening set. But I would be extremely disappointed if they don't pick up the pace with some of my old favorites from Voyager. Either way, I'm just glad these guys have come back for a second round - I'm not missing them this time.

Walter Meego will be at the Larimer Lounge tonight and their set will start at 10:30. The party will get started at 8:30 with a DJ set from Colfax Speed Queen and then a face melting set at 9:30 from ManCub (see yesterday's write-up). Tickets are $10 at the door. Come tonight and get your dance on; I know I will!






Walter Meego - Starlight by buzzbands
Time Machine by waltermeego

Leave a Reply