I must admit, I was already pretty excited when I saw Walter Meego is coming to town this Thursday night, but what really sealed the deal and made this a can't miss concert for me is when I saw Denver's own ManCub would be responsible for kicking off the party.


ManCub is a Denver duo consisting of Danny Stillman and Alex Anderson, who use vintage synthesizers and drum machines to produce some hard hitting electro noise-pop. I first heard about this band when checking out who was playing the Westword Music Showcase, and although I missed their live set, they made enough of an impression on me that I have since picked up their album 8 Bit Crush.


The album is brief but showcases what these guys are all about - an eclectic blend of sounds seemingly from a future robot laser blaster party, that somehow blend with pleasant, ethereal pads and chillwave-esque machined vocals. "Sound" comes in with a thumping beat and hard square synth, but soon thereafter carries you off on a cloud. "Post Modern War" begs you to don your Gundam suit and thrust yourself into an epic battle that takes place in bullet-time. I can't wait to join ranks with these guys and rage on the dance floor.


ManCub will be at Larimer Lounge tomorrow, July 28. Tickets are $8 advance/$10 at the door, so it won't break the bank, either. The festivities begin at 8:30PM. Check out the songs mentioned below, or you can download anything ManCub at their BandCamp page, including their newly released super awesome EP, The Secret Stache. Seems they may have found a new vocalist. Check out "Rapture".

Sound by ManCub
Post Modern War by ManCub
Rapture by ManCub

Leave a Reply