Whispertown is a person, is a band, is a way of thinking.  But mostly Whispertown is singer-songwriter Morgan Nagler, who has an entertainment background in acting but now indulges in music with her friends in L.A.  And her friends on the musician-end of the spectrum are impressive - take for instance the indie-folk power duo Gillian Welch and David Rawlings who signed Nagler up to bolster their talent on Acony Records.

With a new EP out, Nagler is touring the states with Margot and the Nuclear So and So's, and will be stopping in Denver to play at the Larimer Lounge on May 15 - see event details on their website here.  Nagler, aka Whispertown, took a moment to tell us about Parallel and her music, and I suggest you give her a listen next Tuesday.


CE: You go by Whispertown but used to be known as the Whispertown 2000; Is the name change just representative of a change in your sound or is there more to it? 
MN: The name change represents the evolving nature of one's journey. The Whispertown 2000 was a band that I love! Whispertown, so far, is more of a revolving cast of characters supporting these songs in different ways.

CE: How did you get started in the music recording business?
MN: I got a bit of a late start writing music. It wasn't until I was 20 that I learned to play guitar and really started writing songs, but I have always been a writer of words. Its pursuit came out of a desire to connect with other people in the world, and hopefully by sharing ideas make life better.  Jenny Lewis supported my first and second records, and the second was picked up by Dave Rawlings and Gillian Welch at Acony Records, after writing with them for several months in Nashville.  Parallel is now out on Acony, as well.


CE: What was the inspiration for the current iteration of your sound on Parallel?
MN: The inspiration for the new sound of PARALLEL was to experiment with removing the constant strumming of acoustic guitar and replaced it with fewer well chosen notes and instruments, so that everything had a specific unique purpose in revealing the song. Jake Bellows and I went to Athens, Georgia to collaborate with producer Andy LeMaster who psychicly seemed to turn these songs into dreams.

CE: What do you like about playing and performing in L.A. where you live? 
MN: I live in a place called The Shack in Los Angeles. I mostly like writing and playing songs there, in the almost boat like living room/kitchen/Nick White's bedroom.

CE: What is it like playing with Margot and the Nuclear So and So's and do you have any unique experiences to share so far during this tour? 
MN: Our tour with Margot and The Nuclear So and So's begins day after tomorrow! We are visiting Daytrotter on the way to the first show in Maddison, and are very excited. We toured with them a few years back, so are looking forward to the hang. They are sweet!

CE: Acony Records released your album, Parallel, and is based in Nashville, TN. There are lots of recording studios in Nashville and it is generally considered a musician's city - did you record any music in Nashville? More importantly, have you ever checked out the karaoke scene in Nashville? I hear it's only for those at the top of their game. 
MN: I don't think I have actually done any recording in Nashville, but yes, the Label is there and I am fond of the city. I find karaoke endlessly entertaining, so I will have to check that out next time I am in town. My favorite song to do is "Don't Cry" by G&R.

CE: Have you played in Denver before, and if so when was the last time you were here? 
MN: I actually used to live in Denver and have played there many a time! I believe that last was at the Hi-Dive on a motorcycle tour of Colorado with Jake Bellows. There are a few songs on my first record Livin' In A Dream that mention Denver and Aspen.

Check out Whispertown along with Margot and the Nuclear So and So's and Dinosaur Feathers on Tuesday, May 15 at Larimer Lounge. The doors open at 8:00PM and the music starts at 9:00PM. The show is 21+ and tickets are $15 in advance or $18 at the door. Tickets and more information are available online here.

Categories: ,

Leave a Reply