Tonight is a night I've been looking forward to for a long time, ever since Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. announced they'd be doing a fall tour at the end of July. I first heard their music at the beginning of this summer and was instantly hooked, but I narrowly missed seeing them the last time they were here in early June. I thought I missed my opportunity to catch this band this year, so I was instantly excited when I saw they'd be back, and my excitement has only been steadily growing ever since.


Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. is a band from Detroit, MI; the project of Joshua Epstein and Daniel Zott. Together, these guys have crafted a wonderful brand of indie rock that has dashes of folk but uses clever electronic production to make each song a unique and uplifting escape into sound. On top of the amazingly layered instrumentation are incredible vocals and lyrics that stay with the listener well after each song passes. It's hard for me to pick out just one song to offer up for a preview, because the album It's A Corporate World is a masterpiece of varied songs from start to finish and it's been one of my most heavily listened to albums of the year. Since I have to choose, check out "Nothing But Our Love".
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. - Nothing But Our Love by Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.


Before Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr., showgoers will be treated to two local Denver bands. Le Divorce is one of those bands, a foursome known for delivering slightly grungy '90s-type indie alternative rock. Kitty Vincent's vocals give the band's sound added attitude, making them sound somewhere between PJ Harvey and The Pixies. Which is funny, because just as I was typing that last sentence I heard the lyrics "A Pixies album at 3AM" from the song "Analogue". Check it out.
Analogue by Le Divorce


The other local band opening the show is a new Denver folk rock trio called Eye & The Arrow. This band pretty much just popped up last week, so I have very little info to go off of, but apparently the band features members of Paper Bird. I have had a chance to listen to their album The Center of the Sea and their brand of quirky folk has similarities to the folk aspects in Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr., so it should be a good fit. The recording is a bit raw though, so I'm eager to see how it comes together live. Check out "Mexico".
Eye & The Arrow - Mexico by Concerted Effort

Leave a Reply