The wait is over, Halloween is finally here! As usual, despite it being on a Monday night, Denver has plenty of options to party with live music. It was tough to sort out all the possible places to go tonight, but when I saw what was happening at the Larimer Lounge a while back, I knew that was where I wanted to be. The Larimer Lounge will be hosting a trio of indie rock bands that are sure to put on a high energy show, and although I've seen each band before, I'm finally getting a chance to see each in a more ideal setting, with the added atmosphere and mystique of Halloween.


Unknown Mortal Orchestra is actually the very first band I ever wrote about on this blog. The first time I saw this Portland based band, I had no idea who they were and didn't enjoy their performance as much as I could have because I didn't know what I was getting into. I wrote about how I regretted not checking them out beforehand, so when I found out they were coming back to town, I knew I had to go see them, because this time I definitely know how great they are. I can't wait to enjoy their lo-fi indie-pop goodness again. They have an infectious eccentricity about them; check out "Thought Ballune" and "Nerve Damage!".
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Thought Ballune by TheSoundsOfSweetNothing
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Nerve Damage! by TheSoundsOfSweetNothing


Gauntlet Hair is a local indie rock band I first had a chance to see at Denver After Dark. These guys have an awesome brand of energetic noise-rock driven by unique guitar work, drummed samples, and heavily reverberated vocals. They sound great and put on a heck of a show. Check out "Top Bunk" and "Keep Time".
Gauntlet Hair "Top Bunk" by DOJAGSC
Gauntlet Hair "Keep Time" by DOJAGSC


School Knights is a local band from Boulder I also saw for the first time at Denver After Dark. The first time I heard them I didn't know what to expect, but this time I am much more prepared. These guys perform high-energy indie punk with a lo-fi vibe and carefree attitude. It's almost like a raw garage version of coastal surf rock, and it should be an awesome way to start the show. Check out "Fuck The Beach" and "GhostKid".
05 Fuck The Beach.mp3 by DRACULA HORSE
06 GhostKid.mp3 by DRACULA HORSE

The Larimer Lounge doors open at 8:00PM, and the music starts around 9:00PM. The show is 21+ and tickets are $15 at the door.

Leave a Reply