When I say I'm a music lover, no matter what type it is, I mean it. Of course there are types I like more than others, but I'll listen to anything at least one time. I'm going to switch things up a bit tonight and go see a genre of music I haven't covered yet, a genre that I don't always listen to but have deep appreciate for. Tonight, I'll be heading to the Walnut Room, where the Denver Classical Guitar Society will be presenting four classical guitar virtuosos.

I am by no means an expert in classical music. Aside from the most popular songs, it'd be a rare occasion if I could pick out a particular composer, and rarer still if I can pick out an individual song, especially when it's something other than piano music (I did play a lot of piano when I was younger). But I do have a soft spot for classical music, and I do love guitar. In a time where some of the most popular music around is made by some who can barely (if at all) read music, it'll be refreshing to see people that dream arpeggios every time they close their eyes.


Danny Masters is one of those individuals. Danny Masters has studied classical guitar in depth for longer than I have been alive. In the '80s, he earned degrees from Colorado universities in classical guitar performance, earning a Bachelors from University of Northern Colorado and a Masters from from the University of Denver. Since then, he has studied under guitar masters and become a guitar instructor himself. Last year, he released an album titled "Cancion" where he plays works from acclaimed South American composers such as Mangoré and Lauro, Spanish composers such as Tárrega and Sor, other composers from around the world, and some original compositions. Listen to him play "Allegro Solemne" from La Cetedral by Mangoré.


Michael Bevers will also contribute his guitar skills to the show tomorrow night. I can't find much information about him or any recorded examples of him playing, but I can tell you he is pursuing his Bachelors in classical guitar performance at the University of Colorado in Boulder. He is studying a range of classical guitar styles both European and South American, and he is learning from some highly acclaimed guitar instructors.


Joel Smith is another classical guitarist living in Colorado, although he originally comes from Alabama. There, about a decade ago, he earned a Bachelors in music from University of Alabama at Birmingham. In Denver, he is working with the Classical Guitar Society to broaden the awareness of non-traditional styles of solo guitar, reaching outside the realms of the more typical Spanish style classical guitar. Again, that's all I could find out about this guy and I can not find examples of him playing. I'll be sure to fill you in on what I hear (if you don't choose to check it out yourself).


Jeff Copeland is a guitarist from Florida who has performed and taught guitar for over fifteen years. He studied music performance as Florida State University, earning both his Bachelors and Masters degrees there. Copeland is a devoted student of music, nearly completing his Masters in historical musicology and pursing a Doctorate degree at Arizona State University. He is currently working on an album that will be released later this year. Check out some of his live performances; "Tango en Skai" composed by Roland Dyens and "Serenata Espanola" composed by Joaquin Malats. This guy has incredible talent.

It should be an amazing showcase of guitar virtuosity, and I'm extremely excited to see these classical guitar performance masters in their element. Maybe I won't be bumping these guys songs through my car stereo any time soon, but I sure can enjoy their music for one night. You can join me at the Walnut Room. The show starts at 7:00PM, and tickets are a mere $5.

Danny Masters - La Catedral: III Allegro Solemne (Agustín Barrios Mangoré) by Concerted Effort







Leave a Reply