If I could be in two places at the same time, I would also be at the Marquis Theater tonight. Two of my favorite local Denver electronic bands, Flashlights and Force Publique will be there. Denver local hip-hop artist Whygee is also nothing to shake a stick at, and local electronic artist R E A L M A G I C is finding a lot of play in my music rotation lately.


Flashlights is kicking off their late summer tour by starting in Denver tonight. These guys have been getting a lot of exposure lately, especially after winning best electro-pop band at the Westword Music Showcase this summer. These guys have a very unique electro dream-pop sound. I saw these guys perform at the showcase and they are quite good. Ethan Converse and Sam Martin get really into their set, and the expression literally drips off their faces. Check out "New Hampshire". I've never been to that state, but the way they sing about really makes me want to go there.


Force Publique is another band I saw at Westword Music showcase, and was sad to narrowly miss as openers for Battles last month. These guys have a very experimental electro-rock sound that I can't quite describe and took me completely by surprise at first - but now I keep playing their eponymous EP on loop. I'm sure their sound isn't for everyone, but if you're looking for something new, check out "Still Falls Apart" and "Fortified".


Whygee is a veteran MC and beat-boxer who has been a part of various Denver hip-hop projects. Fans of classic hip-hop will enjoy Whygee's style, as he pays homage to the greats while injecting his own, Colorado influenced style. Nod your head to the soulful song, "She Said".




R E A L M A G I C is an up an comer in the Denver electronic music scene, who fits right in line with the chillwave scene. He's like the local version of Chad Valley, but draws a bit of his sound from drum-and-bass and dubstep. By no means is he going to womp your face off though or get you running through the jungle. Instead, it's like more like easy listening for bass fans. Check out "No Things Left".




The party starts at the Marquis Theater at 8:30PM. Tickets are $10 at the door. Go support some great local talent!

New Hampshire by FLASHLIGHTS Still Falls Apart by FORCE PUBLIQUE Fortified by FORCE PUBLIQUE She Said (prod. by Mirrorkill) by Whygee R E A L M A G I C - No Things Left by licas

Leave a Reply